Friday, July 6, 2012

Just Starting Out . . .

I've been thinking about blogging for a while now, but just never moved beyond the thinking stage. Do I really have anything important to say or share? Not really, but I still wanted a venue for sharing my love of quilting. I won't guarantee or promise that my ramblings will be limited to quilting, but you can always skip them if you want. So, with all that being said . . .


As already stated, I do love to quilt. The only part of the whole process I really don't like is basting the three layers together, and that was pretty much eliminated from my life when I was lucky enough to get an APQS quilting machine a few years ago. I don't have a favorite part of quilting - I love the piecing (when it's going smoothly), the quilting, and the binding. And I especially like the part where you get to wrap up in the quilt for the first time!

Since this is my first post, I thought I'd share a couple of recent projects. This first one is a quilt made by Joyce - she made the top and I did the quilting. Joyce is great to work with - she makes a lot of tops, and her instructions for quilting are usually, "Do what you want." It doesn't get much better than that!


This is the back.
And this is the top, of course.

And in this one you can see the quilting design a little better.


This next one was made for my great niece. Sometimes you see a pattern, and you know you have to make the quilt - this was one of those. She had a book about tumbling monkeys that she loved, so this quilt was perfect for her. I hope she uses it until it's threadbare!




Last, but not least, I decided this year was the year to make a table runner or table topper for each season/holiday. Sounds good, right? I missed New Year's/winter, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, spring . . . you get the idea! The 4th of July was approaching quickly, and I was running out of time to do any piecing. I needed to finish quilting a couple of pieces for clients, and then I got to work. I spent a couple of afternoons piecing (the block design is based on the Fireworks block from Quilter's Cache), an afternoon quilting, and an evening binding. At 9:56 p.m. on July 3, the runner was on the table! And we'll leave it there all during July!


It looks right at home on my table.
Here's a closeup of my fireworks quilting design.
I guess that's about enough for my first time out. I really do have good intentions of writing something regularly - maybe just to say hi, maybe to show you a WIP, maybe to share some of my knitting and crocheting projects. So I'll leave now, but I'll be back . . .


From My Pieceful Corner, 
Louise


1 comment:

  1. congrats on the blog!! i look forward to reading in the future!! -doodlebug

    ReplyDelete