Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Couple of Finishes!

Two more things are crossed off the "to-do list"! The first was a pair of socks I'd been working on for what seems like forever (but in all fairness, I only knit at night while watching TV or when I'm in the car - as a passenger - and I have finished several other projects since I started these). 


By the time I was finishing the second one, I was finally starting to memorize the pattern. You can find it here: Winter Frost Socks

I like socks that come up higher on my leg, so I added three pattern repeats to mine. The original also gave an option to add beads to the socks. I didn't do that, but I might try it next time.

The other project was the scrappy pinwheel quilt that I'll donate to our church bazaar in October.


It's the scrappiest quit I've ever made, so that was a new adventure for me. A friend passed away a while ago, and this quilt was made with some of the fabrics in her stash (with a few of mine added in). And yes, this one does have wavy borders. I tried something else new - because I didn't know how quickly I'd get it bound after quilting it and because of all the seams created by a piano key border, I decided to serge the edges to keep everything in place. I think I stretched it! I'll toss it in the washer and dryer later today to see if the fabric kind of shrinks up again. If not . . . well, babies don't really care about waving borders, do they?

At the beginning of 2012, I started the "to-do list" I mentioned earlier. In addition to quilting and knitting projects, I include books I want to read and any other little thing that I want to do but may not get to right away. I even break my quilting projects into smaller tasks - cutting the fabric, making the top, quilting, binding. I really did get quite a bit done in the first six months - I discovered it gave me a real feeling of accomplishment to cross something off the list - but then I got a little cocky and said I really didn't need that list any more. Ha! From about September on, I didn't finish much of anything. In January, I dug out the list again - I was amazed at what I had crossed off the list in 2012, but astounded at how much was still on it. I'm back to using the list again and finding it's still a lot of fun to cross things off! I even have 1/2 hour per day scheduled to cut scraps, and that basket is slowly getting emptied. Now that will be an accomplishment!

I hope you're having a pieceful day!

Louise


No comments:

Post a Comment