Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Sunday - Of Course It's About Quilts!

For quite a few years now, we've spent Super Bowl game time with my mom and her husband (except when they desert us to go to Arizona!), and we continued the tradition this year. Our granddaughter and a friend joined us for potato soup and chili, cornbread, salad and some realllllly good brownies for dessert (are you impressed that I was able to use the words "desert" and "dessert" in one paragraph and get them right?). 

I used the occasion to gift a couple of quilts that had been in the "waiting to be done" stack for quite a while. I decided to focus on a couple of my own projects during the month of January, and at the top of the list were quilts for Mom and Darrel. My goal was to be able to give them on Super Bowl Sunday, and I finished binding Darrel's Friday night. Woohoo!

Here's the one I made for Mom. She's a bridge player (thus the Card Tricks block) and loves a good cup of coffee, so when I saw this fabric line, I knew I wanted to use it in a quilt for her. By the way, the quilts are actually very flat, but the snow beneath them wasn't very smooth, so they look a little wonky in the pictures!



A few years ago I came across a line of Route 66 fabrics. One of the first trips I recall Mom and Darrel taking was along Route 66, and when I found that fabric . . . well, a quilt for Darrel was born (at least in my mind - the actual construction took a while!). I was able to find a star block for each state that Route 66 passes through, and that was the basis of the quilt. You might want to shade your eyes before looking any farther - this one's pretty colorful! The bottom picture is the backing fabric - I left it original size so you could see the design of the fabric a little better, because it was just perfect for the quilt.



They were both very surprised to be going home with quilts last night. And while they were both very appreciative, there's nothing quite like the satisfaction of giving a gift that is admired and loved, so I think I came out the real winner.

I also finished another project this month. In a previous post I had shown you some fabric and a pattern I purchased during our trip to northern Michigan. Since that time, we bought a new dining room table, so by early January I figured I had procrastinated long enough and decided to make the placemats and runner from the pattern I bought in September. 



My original plan was to make just the runner, so when I decided to add placemats to the mix, I had to add some fabric from my stash. 

Today's project is to quilt a baby quilt to be donated to our annual church bazaar this fall. Tomorrow my latest batting order will be arriving, and that will allow me to get back to work on client quilts - I have six waiting in the queue, so that'll keep me busy and out of trouble for a while. 

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my current knitting project finished and I can share that with you as well. I've discovered that I love wearing hand-knitted socks, and can't wait to finish this pair.

Until then, thanks for taking time to read today.

From My Pieceful Corner,

Louise






No comments:

Post a Comment